Goals & Accomplishments
RMTC Mission Statement:
The mission of the Consortium shall be to develop, promote and coordinate, at the national level, policies, research and educational programs that seek to ensure the fairness and integrity of racing and the health and welfare of racehorses and participants, and to protect the interests of the racing public.
- Develop and recommend uniform model policies, prohibited practices, disciplinary procedures and penalties regarding the use of medications and methods in connection with selling, training and racing horses, while respecting the autonomy and authority of individual state racing commissions and the work of national regulatory organizations.
- Develop a strong working relationship with individual state racing commissions, through their national regulatory organizations, by becoming a respected source of unbiased information on medication, testing and research.
- Stimulate, foster and seek proposals for new research into substances and methods being used to enhance or diminish athletic performance and devise appropriate analytical techniques for their detection.
- Define clearly the legitimate, therapeutic use of medications and/or methods and draw up reasonable guidelines for their use.
- Develop and recommend uniform laboratory technical standards and procedures with regard to analytical methods and equipment.
- Establish one or more working laboratories as "reference laboratories" for the purpose of overseeing the above-mentioned standards, validating new analytical techniques, developing reference samples, and ensuring quality control and good laboratory practice.
- Study the relationship of security issues to the control of drugs and medications in horses, develop and disseminate effective security measures that reduce or close off the opportunity for improper pre-race practices and work with state and federal regulatory agencies to prevent the purchase and/or sale of illegal or forbidden drugs.
- Develop and implement educational programs for those industry stakeholder groups responsible for maintaining the integrity of the sport.
- Disseminate accurate and timely information to all stakeholder groups and the racing press via multiple communication channels.
- Participate with other organizations, both nationally and internationally, to accomplish our mission.
- RMTC Recent Accomplishments
- RMTC Progress and Developments Report 2011-2012
- Laboratory Accreditation Status Report
- RMTC-Funded Research
- Medication and Drug Testing Developments Timeline
- RMTC Media Fact Sheet
RMTC Committee Work: